Cycling Ulster would like to wish Omagh Wheelers all the best with their promotion of the Omagh 3-Day this weekend. Cycling Ulster will be sponsoring one of the stage’s of this year’s race. Please see full details below.
Tour of Omagh Gears Up
The SPAR Tour of Omagh is unparalleled as one of Co Tyrone’s most iconic cycling events, the biggest A4 stage race of its kind in Ireland. Now in its 7th year, the 2016 SPAR Tour of Omagh will take place from 28-30th July and is set to attract some of the region’s most prestigious cyclists.
The widely recognised event has gone from strength to strength over the years and produced some fine winners including two riders who have gone on to ride the An Post Rás, with two cyclist turning professional.
In 2017, the event continues to develop the separate Women’s race which proved very popular in recent years. The prestige of competitor’s who entered the race in 2015 & 2016 was outstanding with female competitor Eileen Burns (Bann Valley CC) coming out on top securing a finishing time that was in the top 10 overall across both races. There has already been great interest in this year’s Women’s event with athletes looking to use it as preparation for the An Post Rás na mBan. The Women’s race will cater for women of all categories (A1/2/3/4) which promises to make some exciting and fast racing.
Returning as Race Director for 2017, Omagh Wheelers man Stevie McKenna is looking forward to another exciting race; “We are delighted once again to have SPAR back on board as our title sponsor for 2017 and wish to thank them again for their continued support for the biggest A4 race of its kind in Ireland. We’ve got some challenging stages in store for our A4 and women competitors and we’re expecting places to sell out in record time given the interest we’ve received over recent months”.
Bronagh Luke, Head of Corporate Marketing at Henderson Group, owners of the SPAR franchise in Northern Ireland, indicated she was excited about the event; “SPAR are delighted to once again be the title sponsor of the 2017 Tour of Omagh for a second consecutive year. As title sponsor we are confident that this unique and challenging event will be well supported by not only local cycle enthusiasts, but by cycle clubs throughout Ireland. The Tour of Omagh truly tests cyclists limits by providing a range of competitions within the overall race.
SPAR stores throughout Northern Ireland supply a wide range of fresh healthy locally sourced produce, perfect for participants who are in training and want to prepare well-balanced healthy meals. We are proud to be associated with this exciting event and would like to encourage as many people to take part and stay active.”
The race will once again have plenty on offer in terms of competition. The men’s race will cater for well over 100 cyclists, and there will once again be a separate Womens race available across all categories.
There are plenty of jersey competitions to play for again, with the overall race sponsored by SPAR; the Points competition sponsored by GMG Logos; KOH competition sponsored by JMG Systems; Women’s race sponsored by Sallys of Omagh; and the Combativity competition sponsored by Image Express.
Sign-on is on Friday 28th July from 3:00pm to 4:30pm at Drumragh Sarsfields GAC, 85 Clanabogan road, Omagh. Co. Tyrone. BT78 1SL.
The race will start at 5:30pm SHARP!
- The SPAR Tour of Omagh is promoted by Omagh Wheelers CC under the rules of Cycling Ireland.
- The A4 race is for A4 category riders only (including Junior, Senior, Masters).
- The Womens race is for all categories of Women.
- Due to restrictions to the field size, a selection process will be used to confirm successful entries for the race by the Race Committee. Riders/teams will NOT be selected on a first come basis. Preference will be given to teams of riders as opposed to individual entries. Clubs may submit 5-person teams. ‘B’ teams will only be considered if numbers allow. Teams of less than 5 riders will be considered. A team manager must be nominated for each entry, who in turn will be used to confirm team applications.
- Composite teams will be accepted with prior agreement with the Race Organiser.
- Refunds will NOT be provided. Team entries will not be transferrable after Tuesday 25th July 2017.
- Incomplete entries may not considered. Managers will be notified of successful entry to the event.
- Race packs will be issued to team manager’s by email prior to the event.
This special race gives A4 riders the opportunity to experience the demands and challenges of a three day event, which provides Real competitive racing, and an excellent enviroment for riders to gain experience and develop. The demands of a three-day event is very differant to a normal one-day race, as not only do the riders have to try and recover before the demands of the next stage, but you also have a mixture of cycling disciplines to contend with: a King of the Hills (KOH) competition for the climbers, and a Points competition for the riders with a Cavendish-style kick. There is also a competition for the Best Overall Rider and Team which requires every rider to keep riding to the line for those vital seconds. Once again in 2017 is the Combativity competition which rewards the most aggressive rider.
Visit https://www.omaghwheelers.co.uk/tour-of-omagh-3-day/ for all race info!