Fintona Cycling Club promoted the Patsy McElhatton memorial road race yesterday. The 38 miles event was in memory of the club founder and long time President and also came as the club marked its 50th anniversary since its foundation.
Riders tackled the ascent of Fivemiletown mountain twice on the lumpy circuit with the summit on the second occasion also serving as the finish.
Around 20 riders remained in contention after the first ascent of the climb. The break of the day formed out of this group early in the second lap and contained Ulster junior 25 miles time trial champion, Ruairi Power (Caldwell Cycles), Barry McKenna (Fintona CC), Kyle Fisher (Lakeland CC), Aaron Wiley (Omagh Whs), David Conor (Armagh CC) and Alan Glendinning (Island Whs).
Mickey O’Kane (Termon Whs) and Conor Sprice (Lakeland CC) bridged across to this group half way round the second lap. This group maintained 40 seconds of a gap over a dozen chasers as the race reached the bottom of the final climb.
Power surged clear to take the win ahead of Wiley and Fisher.
FCC would like to thank all our competitors and helpers who came from near and far!
Special word for our sponsors as well; Aerial Sports/Gymnastics Centre, McKenna Electrical and Arcane Bikes.
- Ruairi Power Caldwell Cycles
- Aaron Wiley Omagh Wheelers
- Kyle Fisher Lakeland CC
- David Conor Armagh City Cyclists
- Barry McKenna Fintona CC
- Conor Sprice Lakeland CC
- Mickey O’Kane Termon Wheelers
- Alan Glendinning Island Wheelers
- Paddy Maguire Omagh Wheelers
- Mark McGirr Lakeland CC
- Lee Sommerville Lakeland CC
- Sean Maguire VC Glendale
- Patrick Withers Fintona CC
- Eugene Power Caldwell Cycles
- Kenny Boylan Lakeland CC
On Saturday, Keevan CC hosted their Autumn classic with two separate races, results below.
Keevan Autumn Classic A3
- Andrew Morrison Maryland Wheelers
- Ciaran Cahoon Clann Eireann
- Stephen Fitzsimmons Banbridge CC
- Alan Wilson Steady CC
- James Glasgow East Tyrone CC
- Philip Graham Unattached
- Ryan Beech Ballymena RC
- Thomas Knapcok Clogher Valley Wheelers
- Sean Mullin Clogher Valley Wheelers
- Peter Batey VC Iveagh
Keevan Autumn Classic A4
- Geoff Tate West Down Wheelers
- Simon Woods Keevan CC
- Tony Willis Armagh CC
- Jonathan Coen Dromore CC
- Mark McParland Newry Wheelers
- Michael Gormley Carn Wheelers
- Johnny Hayes Portadown CC
- Paul Alexander Ards CC